So, you may have figured out by now that we offer both ONLINE and PRINT-BASED courses. Many of our courses (currently 44 out of 69, to be exact) are offered in both formats. You can check out lists of each on our website, or look for the “PB” in front of the course number, or the picture of the mouse (computer mouse, not Mickey) in our catalog. Here’s the skinny on the difference:
STRUCTURE: In almost every case, the print-based and online courses use the same best selling and quality text, no matter what the format. The print-based courses have Study Guide Questions, Article Requirements and Application Requirements. The online courses have Written Responses, Activities, and Applications. You’ll find the same level of rigor in each format as well: each 3 credit course should take approximately 45 credit hours.
EXPERIENCE: Online courses give us the opportunity to offer a variety of media support to the coursework; we can insert websites and videos that can enhance the experience for you. Print-based courses are equally as exciting, just without the different forms of media.
EVALUATION: Both formats are completely self-paced. For online courses, you submit your assignments as you complete them, and your instructor will offer feedback along the way. Print-based courses are mailed in via the USPS, and the instructor evaluates the course, offering comments with the inclusion of a SASE.
- Do you have basic computer skills? (ie, create folders to store your files; create, name, save and copy files; use the computer’s word processor, Internet browser and email program)
- Do you have your own email address?
- Can you create and send an email?
- Can you attach a file to an email?
- Can you receive and open a file attachment?
- Are you able to install any ‘plug-in’ programs needed (given some help)?
- Do you have access to a computer with an Internet connection?
If you answered YES to most of the questions above…you may be a great candidate for an online course!
If you answered NO to most of the questions above… no problem! Check out one of our great print-based courses!
Either way, we want to meet the comfort level of your learning style. We are looking forward to working with you, no matter the format you choose! As always, please let us know if you have any further questions.